"I bless peace, not war."
It was scarcely more than three weeks before the opening of the twenty-fifth National Eucharistic Congress when the news of the murder at Sarajevo of the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife came like a thunder-clap upon the European world. The assassins being Serbians, Serbia was at once accused by Austria of complicity in the crime, and a drastic note, to be answered within a time limit of forty-eight hours, was presented for her acceptance. Of the policy which caused this move, and of the Powers behind it, this is not the place to speak.
The Pope, to whom the text of the Note was officially communicated by the Austro-Hungarian Government, foresaw most clearly the catastrophe that must inevitably follow. The Papal Nuncios received instructions to do all in their power to avert an international conflict, but it was too late to prevent the calamity; all efforts were in vain. In less than a fortnight the first act of the great tragedy had begun, and Austria, Serbia, Russia, Germany, Belgium, France and England were at war.
The blow fell crushingly on the Pope, whose heart was heavy with the thought of all the sufferings that war would bring in its train.
On July 28, 1914, the Austrian Ambassador appeared before Pius X to inform him that the Empire had formally declared war upon the Kingdom of Serbia. During this meeting, the ambassador asked the Pope to bless the guns of the imperial and royal army of Austria and Hungary. To this Pius X replied, “Tell the Emperor that I can bless neither war, nor those who have desired war. I bless peace.”
Deeply saddened by the lack of love and disregard for human values throughout the world, Pius X died less than two months after the outbreak of World War I, many still believe of a broken heart.
Italian translation by Aduah.
Tagged as: aph: italy. aph: south italy. aph: north italy. lovino vargas. feliciano vargas. aph: hungary. aph: austria. roderich edelstein. Elizaveta Héderváry. APH. Axis Powers Hetalia. hetalia.
- soladine reblogged this from chevalierviolet
- faehoney likes this
- nonssensse reblogged this from chevalierviolet
- trollfishprince likes this
- why-isnt-gay-swim-happpenin-idk reblogged this from excentricanthropologist
- why-isnt-gay-swim-happpenin-idk likes this
- excentricanthropologist reblogged this from chevalierviolet
- chouko-littlebutterfly likes this
- snowskime likes this
- vonvira reblogged this from chevalierviolet
- rhythmicsequence likes this
- wizardgirl9 likes this
- callmenagi reblogged this from thethespacecoyote
- heavenhasfallenhellwillberaised likes this
- themostawesomeginger reblogged this from lacielino
- themostawesomeginger likes this
- lacielino reblogged this from queenofnedcan
- me1anch0lich0lic reblogged this from queenofnedcan
- queenofnedcan reblogged this from vitezszepseg
- vitezszepseg reblogged this from amoreillecito
- duchess-of-nothing likes this
- tetrisblock likes this
- the-great-fallen-empire likes this
- ask-feli-of-the-north likes this
- actual-teen-girl-cecil-baldwin reblogged this from ectobiolcgist
- beanie-weenies likes this
- scorpio-am likes this
- scorpio-am reblogged this from ectobiolcgist
- artsynirvana reblogged this from ectobiolcgist
- artsynirvana likes this
- holyflippintomatoes likes this
- ectobiolcgist reblogged this from fortroughs
- basquet-case likes this
- distraite-vigil reblogged this from fortroughs
- bigamericandreams likes this
- amoreillecito reblogged this from fortroughs
- allgloryallhell likes this
- i-am-being-myself likes this
- fortroughs reblogged this from squirreltastic
- lover-of-the-russian-queen reblogged this from chevalierviolet
- figuringitoutasigoalong reblogged this from lsunnyc
- tsorin reblogged this from lsunnyc
- lsunnyc reblogged this from sophiaphilemon
- sophiaphilemon reblogged this from fuckyeahhetalianhistory
- saccharine-and-dopamine likes this
- saccharine-and-dopamine reblogged this from 221bbakerstreetissherlocked
- reincarnatedrainbow reblogged this from alfredfjonesversustheworld
- reincarnatedrainbow likes this